Corporate Social Responsibility
McGregor Fashion Group is dedicated to making a positive contribution to the society in which we operate. CSR is therefore an important aspect of our business practices.
McGregor CSR and membership of the Fair Wear Foundation
It is our firm conviction that companies have a responsibility to improve, where necessary, working conditions in the countries where they do business. That's why McGregor Fashion Group has joined the Fair Wear Foundation. McGregor Fashion Group has committed itself to have all its suppliers independently audited to ensure that the suppliers maintain safe and human working conditions for their staff, according to the FWF Code of Labour Practices.
Control of toxic substances
On top of this, we try to do our bit for the environment. Way back in the 90s, before we joined the Fair Wear Foundation, we started out by signing manufacturers' Codes of Conduct, principally relating to azo dyestuffs, PCBs, cadmium and other harmful substances. Suppliers are asked to certify that the products conform to European standards on harmful substances in the clothing itself. We have our products regularly tested by independent testing agencies for any possible presence of harmful substances.
When it comes to transport, we require all our shippers to guarantee that gas-free (free of toxic substances) transport is used for our products. At the McGregor distribution centre a container is not unloaded if it does not have a gas-free certificate. We require all shipments that enter Europe by container to comply with the rules. In practice this means that all containers carrying our products must be accompanied by a gas-free certificate.
In the summer of 2007 we switched over to green electricity. In all the organization's buildings throughout the Netherlands, in stores and offices, environmentally responsible green electricity is used. The implementation of this policy in our overseas outlets is scheduled. We constantly look for energy savings, which should ensure that within 3 years energy use within the group is pushed back by at least 15%.
In our plans for relocating parts of our company and for that purpose new required buildings we will install thermal conductor systems, making use of the natural warmth of the earth.
Logistics and distribution
Our logistics supplier, DHL Exel Supply chain, is ISO 14001 certified. This ISO standard guarantees that this key supplier of ours pursues an environmentally-conscious policy.
A good employer
We encourage personal growth through continuously organizing targeted training pathways, both in groups and individually if desired. The health of our staff is important, which is why there is a program to actively support staff in pursuing and maintaining good health. Personal lifestyle advice is part of this.
- We offer all our staff over 40 a periodic health check. Uptake of this service is voluntary and medical information is of course confidential and known only to the doctor and the employee.
- Membership of selected fitness centers is encouraged by means of a 50% contribution from the employer.
- Every year, all staff are invited to have a voluntary flu vaccination.
- We encourage our employees to stop smoking by offering professional help programs.
- All staff can make use of a season ticket for public transport for travelling free between home and the working place vice versa.
- For young mothers, specially adapted working weeks and/or working hours are offered.
- Where possible, McGregor Fashion Group encourages its staff to devote themselves to welfare activities in their own environment.
McGregor has taken several important steps on the road to manufacturing clothes with responsibly grown cotton, which uses organic pesticides instead of chemical ones. The manufacturing process is aimed to include many sustainable elements, including environmentally friendly cotton bleaching and organic hang tags printed on recycled paper. The ultimate goal for McGregor is eventually to produce all of our collections in an environmentally responsible way.
Toners & Cartridges
Used toners and cartridges (printers, copiers and fax machines) will be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
- McGregor Fashion Group donates clothing to third world countries several times a year.
- McGregor Fashion Group donates to the Watoto Foundation by paying two teachers, besides periodical donations. The Watoto foundation is a non profit organization that cares for orphan children in Africa. See www.watoto.com
- McGregor Fashion Group donates to the Tjommie Foundation, which cares for the people in the town ships of South Africa. See www.tjommie.nl
- McGregor Fashion Group donates to the Marni Foundation, which provides quality education to the underprivileged children in the slums of India. See www.marnifoundation.com
- McGregor Fashion Group donates to the Johan Cruijff Foundation and adopted a Cruijff Court in de Bilt (Utrecht). A Cruijff Court is a modern alternative of the old greens, which one used to find in a lot of neighbourhoods and districts, but have over the years been disappeared due to urbanization and expansion. With the Cruijff Courts the function of the old green has been brought back to the neighbourhood. The local children get a good safe place where they can play sports and through the cooperation of the local council, corporations, schools, sport and football clubs and local businesses, the Cruyff Court also has an important social function in the neighbourhood.
- Mcgregor Fashion Group donates to the Oki Foundation, which provides housing, care, coaching and support to disabled young adults. For more information http://www.stichtingoki.nl/